Here’s a simple recipe for getting back to life.
The COVID-19 vaccines administered in Canada are safe, tested, and the most effective way for all of us to resume the activities we’ve put on hold for a year—like seeing our friends and family.
All it takes is three simple steps.
Find out when it’s your turn.
Canada has a three-stage distribution plan for the vaccine, starting with priority populations in each province. Find out when it’s your turn here.
Get the vaccine. Here’s why.
When enough of Canada’s population is vaccinated, it will massively help in containing the spread of the virus. Join the 2,000,000 people in Canada–and counting–who have already received a COVID-19 vaccine.
If the virus meets no resistance, it will continue to spread quickly. Stopping it requires a significant percentage of the population to be immune. How can we get to that point? The very best way is for every person to get vaccinated as soon as it’s their turn.
What is herd immunity?: When most of a population becomes immune to an infectious disease, this provides protection to those who are not yet immune. For example, if 80% of a population is immune to a virus, four out of every five people who encounter someone with the disease won’t get sick (and then can’t spread the disease any further).
For COVID-19, experts are saying between 75% and 90% of Canadians will likely need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity.
Even if you’re taking all precautions, like wearing masks and socially distancing, the vaccine is the only thing that can fully protect you and prevent the virus from spreading widely to others.
As nurses on the frontlines, we see–firsthand–the impact of COVID-19 in our hospitals, long-term care facilities and homes. We know things will get much worse if we don’t all do our part to stop the spread of the virus.
Share this with your friends and family.
In order to make sure everyone is safe from COVID-19, we need to work together. Share this information with your friends and family who may be hesitant towards taking the vaccine. Because there’s only one way to get back to seeing them in person.
Reminder: Always be sure to follow the public health, social distancing and mask-wearing guidelines in your region.
The vaccine is safe. Trust us.
The vaccines approved for use here in Canada are also rigorously tested right here in Canada. Health Canada scientists conduct a thorough and independent review of all evidence to determine if COVID-19 vaccines are safe and effective.
- By mid-March, over 2,000,000 people in Canada had received the vaccine, including frontline health care workers, and over 275 million doses had been administered worldwide.
- Large-scale trials on the efficacy of the COVID-19 vaccines involved tens of thousands of participants with few or no reported serious adverse events.
- The Public Health Agency of Canada monitors the impacts of vaccines on an ongoing basis.
- This infographic shows the steps in Canada’s vaccine approval process.
- In the first real-world data from countries in which large proportions of the populations have been vaccinated, vaccine efficacy is about 70-90% +, similar to the results of the original clinical trials.
- This infographic illustrates how effective vaccines have been at eliminating six preventable diseases in Canada.
Be informed: With news coming out every day, make sure you are getting up-to-date and reliable information on the COVID-19 vaccines. Visit Health Canada’s online hub.